Monday, May 28, 2007

Elusive Balance

Since my last post my life has been a whirlwind of travel, slow recovery from what I now suspect is acute bronchitis, and attention to chores undone. My romance with molten glass has caused a slow, but definite disruption in the delicate homeostasis of my life, and I'm trying to restore the balance. Of course, I'm working on a few things for the Mountain Art Guild Show in June, but they're just not at the top of my list right now.

Hope is in sight. I've had a quiet holiday weekend at home, attending to my health, the garden, and our home, and I'm seeing some progress in all. Our coastal mountain range seems to have settled back into our typical summer weather pattern, with cool, foggy nights, with spectacularly great temperate days where the sun appears somewhere just before noon. While the tomato plants would probably prefer hotter, brighter days, all of our other botanical pals outside are really appreciative of the moisture.

One of my recent travels took us to see friends in the Bellingham, WA area - a place my husband knows and loves well, but I have not visited. One friend is a professional landscaper, with an incredible showcase garden at his home. The rhododendrons and azalea were in utmost splendor while we were there. Jeff has also enjoyed a few moments of fame recently, after rescuing a capsized kayaker from a local lake, all while being filmed from a helicopter by a local news station. He and his assistant literally saved the guy's life.

There is an incredible rose in my garden that I'd like to identify (see photo at top). A few people who have seen it think it might be a Peace rose, but I'm not sure. Since cutting down a nearby tree it has become just massive in size, and the profuse blooms are breathtaking.

This spring the "La Vie en Rose" bearded iris I won at the Master Gardener's raffle a couple of years ago finally bloomed. It's nice in contrast to my other irises which are mostly lavender.


My "Johnson's Blue" geranium actually survived last year's near-homicide by a hungry rabbit, and is creating a nice contrast against the bronze sedge and the bacopa nearby.

Finally, the nigella reseeded itself all through the cracks in the garden walkway, and is looking great.

Finally, I'm buoyed to hear that the whales are slowly making their way back to the ocean. I guess the Rio Vista area has been overwhelmed with visitors this weekend trying to get a closer look at the duo. The real effort to herd them back to sea is supposed to start tomorrow.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails