Saturday, September 15, 2007

I Got Tink!

Tink Blinding Us With Science

I had the incredible pleasure of taking a couple of classes from Tink Martin and John Cramer of Black Swamp Glassworks last weekend at Arrow Springs. I was not lucky enough to get one of the seats in her vessel class, but took the Tips & Tricks and Electroforming classes. In Tips and Tricks we learned how to make glass pens in the Italian way - the kind that you dip into ink. We also reviewed how to pull goldstone stringer, how to make faux boro glass, and various surface treatments on glass such as the Titanium pen, coloration & image transfer onto glass, PMC on glass, and making hollow beads using the drilled out mandrels. My mind is bursting with the possibilities that all of these ideas offered.

Here are a few photos from the class. We had a bit of Drama when Zoey, a dog that one of the students brought, decided to slip away for some excitement of her own. We formed search teams and fanned out over several blocks, and after an hour or so she was found hiding near a dumpster right next to the shop. I'm glad she was ok.

This was my first class with Tink, and I had a blast. She is an energetic, creative, bubbly, positive person and I just loved meeting her. We had a lot of laughs, and I learned a lot.

I can't wait for my kit to arrive! Here is a picture of the bead that I took to the class to electroform. I wish there had been time to allow more copper to build up on the piece, to provide more texture, but there were about 10 of us and only two rectifiers. The copper is on the ends and in the swirl in the middle.

The green areas are where we developed a patina over the copper - Tink and John showed us how to get that look using common household stuff (e.g. salt and ammonia). I've got lots of ideas how to use electroforming in my work, and can't wait to get started. Art and science all in one!

1 comment:

Bosphorus Glass said...

A class with Tink! WOOOW!! I am so jealous! I can't wait to see your electroformed works Patty.

By the way,

Tag - you’re it!
Visit my blog and find out what it means.
http://www.bosphorusglass.com

Ilknur Akbay

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails