Monday, March 3, 2008

Why I Love the Saratoga Rotary Club

I'm proud to announce that for the second year in a row, I'll be a participating artist in the Saratoga Rotary Club's annual Art (& wine!) show on Sunday, May 4th at West Valley College in Saratoga. This 51st annual juried show will feature over 175 artists working in many media, including painting, photography, jewelry, sculpture, glass, ceramics, and more.

It's a great place to shop and this year they're adding wine tasting with local wines to make it even more special. The Rotary Club keeps the booth fees and 20% of each artist's proceeds, which go to grants for local charities, as well as to international outreach which includes Rotaplast International, a group that providing cleft palate surgery and treatment for children in impoverished countries.

The Saratoga Rotary Art Show is a very well-run show, and all aspects of it from the invitations to artists, to jurying, to the events on the day of the show are executed flawlessly and cheerfully by their volunteers, and the artists feel well cared for. It's truly a pleasure to participate.

This is really enough to make any artist want to join this wonderful show, but for me, there's more. Many years ago, my father, James Lakin, belonged to the Rotary Club in Iowa where I grew up. He was an accomplished oboist and Professor of Music at the University of Iowa. I recall attending a "father-daughter" Rotary luncheon with him one time, but beyond that I don't recall much more about what he did as a part of this group.

Sadly, he died at age 54 of brain cancer before I ever imagined becoming a glass bead artist, although my artistic tendencies in general were well established by then. Supporting the Saratoga Rotary Club by being in their show makes me feel closer to him somehow, and enables me to appreciate abstractly all of the good work he must have done with them. In some way, it helps me to feel that in some way maybe I am picking up where he left off by helping this group, while also finding my way in the art world.

Thank you, Saratoga Rotary, for this opportunity.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails