Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Lull in the Craziness

Alluring earrings, with an amusing story, now in my Etsy shop.

It's been a busy month, but I'm presently enjoying a bit of a lull, and getting caught up with my Etsy shop listings. Check here to see 5 pairs of great new earrings (with some fun stories in the listings) and some new focals. I got busy with jewelry late last year before my Christmas show, but didn't get around to photos until now.

What have I been busy with? Well, the biggest, and most exciting thing has been a collaboration with Cyndie Smith for the ISGB and Bead and Button exhibit called Convergence, where bead artists are paired with jewelry designers to create pieces inspired by the four elements. Though we have never met in person, we've become friends thanks to the InterTubes and discovered that we have each been dreaming about the same kind of wild, unfettered piece for years. And so we made it, and we find out on March 1 if it's accepted. Part of the chaos in that task was due to some late-breaking (sorry for the pun) incompatibility issues with the glass I've been using, but the mystery is solved and all is well now.

I've also been applying to shows - I put two applications in through the Zapp system (you gotta check this out - makes the show application process very easy) and one the old fashioned way, and I should know within about a month what my show schedule is for this year.

Another exciting opportunity came my way last year when Sara from Soft Flex asked me to be the Featured Designer in their "Spotlight On" feature in March. I had to write a biography and assemble some images for the piece. What an honor!

All of this would have been easy to manage had my laptop not died a hard (wish I could say it was sudden, but I saw it coming) death just before Christmas. My new Dell Studio laptop just arrived, and now I have to don my IT hat and uninstall Vista and install an older version of Windows XP, then upgrade it, and then reinstall my favorite applications - Photoshop Elements, Quicken (don't even mention tax time or I'll explode), Firefox, TOPO, iTunes, Dreamweaver, it just makes me tired thinking about it. DH is good with the wireless network, so if the new machine is compatible with our older HP printer, he'll figure out how to set that up.

Oh, and how could I forget? I'm going to Tucson! I've not been to the bead shows there before, but plan to check them out and say "hi" to a bunch of folks. If you're going, let me know! I had a couple of last minute invitations for this year, but it just wasn't meant to be this time. I hope to be there as a vendor next year.

For now the frenzy has died to a dull roar, and we're going hiking today, likely in the fuzzy green foothills surrounding the Bay Area. It's the best time of year to hike there, and I'm hoping to see some early blooms.

"Stick Your Neck Out" lampwork and fine silver pendant, now in my Etsy Shop.


1 comment:

Deb said...

OMG Patty - you have been busy!! I can't wait to hear whether your & Cyndies 'Convergence' piece gets accepted.

Just checked out Cyndies store - yum! Lovin' the Sahara Sister piece with one of your beads shown in it.

I can't wait to see the spotlight feature that Soft Flex do on you - I'm going to have to make a reminder for myself of that one!!

The shows sound like lots of work, but ultimately lots of fun & opportunity too!

I feel your pain with the lap-top, my desktop was in it death throes before Christmas. I was anti- Vista when the big new whizzy doo one arrived (might have even thrown a bit of a sulk when I was told that I couldn't get XP Pro on it & realised that I no longer had my install disk for that) - but you know I haven't found a single thing that it wont run or that I can't install....& some of my stuff goes back 10 years.
Then again I clearly recall all the same hoo ha around XP when it first came out - & it took me some time to upgrade from '98 SE.

Have fun on your tramp!! Hope you do see some early blooms.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails