Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Garden Renaissance


Things have been happening in my garden. Good things. Things that haven't happened in quite a while. A Restoration of sorts. A rebirth. A reconnection.

I was a gardening fiend before I became seduced by molten glass. It was my passion, for sure, and nothing much came close. And then came glass.

In the beginning of the Neglectful Period I laughed about it, saying that it was an experiment designed to discover the lowest maintenance plants. Granted, I have achieved that goal, but the ones that did not survive have left some ugly, bare scars on my once beautiful retreat. Darwin was right, and I have living (and dead) proof right here.

I learned to love sedge, salvia, and heirloom roses, not to mention hardy viburnum, grasses, azaleas and camelia, nepeta, osteospermum, and iris. Santa Barbara Daisy makes me smile each time I pass by its happy, healthy tufts along the path. I am driven crazy by an overexhuberant old climbing rose whose name I don't know, whom I swear I bought at 4" high for 99 cents at a garage sale and now threatens to take over the house.

"Just Joey", one of my all time favorite roses.

Lamium, heuchera, and salvia make a grand spring entrance.

Last weekend I began the process of tending to those scars, respectfully removing the dead (and quietly honoring the service they once performed), celebrating the hearty, and optimistically looking ahead to days when I might have more time to tend the land.

A new addition, a "Joseph's Coat" climber for the arch.

An overgrown arch with two Cecile Bruner roses was taken down and the excessively eager performers given to a new home with more elbow room, and two less eager old climbers were assigned to the job.

A winter dormant fountain was cleaned and the pump was breathed back to life (whacked, more like it). It's joyous sound now permeates the front entry.

The hopes of early autumn color were solidified with plantings of two different Rudbeckias, and the joys of summer cuttings were invested in Shasta daisies and zinnias.

Dilapidated half whiskey barrels were dismantled and replaced with more durable containers, in places. Weeds were removed from the beds, and unruly viburnum were tamed with the hedge clippers. Roses were pampered with worm castings (my own) and steer manure, soon to be followed with Epsom salts and (hopefully) regular waterings with a new drip irrigation system. Dahlias were dug and divided, and dispersed among the garden. Potted plants were heavily mulched in anticipation of the soon to come heat waves. Hummingbird and nyger feeders were cleaned and refilled. Cheerful pots of perennials and annuals were planted.


Life goes on, and life is good in the garden. Perhaps there is a reason why many of my new jewelry pieces have a garden theme.

3 comments:

Jennifer Cameron said...

beautiful Patty! And the fact you have the ability to merge your 2 loves into gorgeous jewelry is divine

Patty said...

Hey Jennifer,

Thanks! Yeah, there does seem to be some kind of covergence going on there. Hope the storms are over and your nights are restful.

Patty

mairedodd said...

the term 'neglectful period' has left me laughing as i am in one right now (not proud of it, but it is true)... my head has been filled with the beads i am working with and ideas of how to bring them all together! give yourself credit for having been double-y productive with your gardening - both indoors and out...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails