Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Rainy First Show

New booth layout at the 2009 Saratoga Rotary Art & Wine Show

Well, the clouds and rain rolled in, but so did the people so my first show of the year was tons of fun. It's just not the same without people to talk to!

Most of my booth was unscathed by the moisture, and my heart went out to the painters and others bringing more fragile artwork to the show. My canopy and fabrics will dry out, and my jewelry appreciates a bath now and then.

I'd like to give a happy shout out to my friends and wonderful customers who turned out for the show - Sheila, Catherine & John, Laura from Santa Cruz, Mike, John, Joyce, Pat, Dottie, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting. It was great to see everyone and wonderful to get such positive feedback on my latest work.

Gravity Tubes necklace (SOLD).

Gravity Tubes necklace (SOLD).

I was sad to see my Gravity Tubes piece go so fast. It's been percolating in my mind for the last year, and only in the last week or two became fully realized. I'll do another post on the design and techniques very soon, but for now I'll just note that the fine silver parts bear some lasting impressions from our recent trip to Baja, Mexico. The beads themselves are my Gravity Tubes, which are made using only heat and gravity for shaping, and no tools (should I call them Virgin Tubes?). They are very liberating to make if you usually use lots of tools to produce your beads. Hey, what about Freedom Beads? Nah. Too Bush-esque.

Mean Green Mother Earth companion pieces.

My new 3-tiered buffet servers (thank you B. Smith and Bed Bath & Beyond) worked well to get the pieces up off the table and in an interesting arrangement for the eye. They fold up flat for easy transport too.

I'm getting back in the swing of things again, after a very hectic schedule, and look forward to updating you more frequently on what's been going on. Next I think I'll cover the Baja adventure, and the making of my Gravity Tubes piece.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Deb said...

I love your gravity tubes patty! They have such a nice natural, smooth freeflow look to them.

I always enjoy it when I have what was just a big glob of glass that I am slowly stretching down the mandrel.....but am never brave enough to just stop there!
Your visual perception must be amazing that you can recreate them in consistent sizes!!

I thrilled that there were lots of people, in spite of the rain! Nothing worse than standing around & twiddling your thumbs after having put in so much work.

Patty said...

Thanks, Deb. The tubes are actually graduated in length across the necklace, and the trick to getting them the same width is to consistently apply the glass layers, and count them as you go. So, two layers the entire length, and maybe an extra layer or two on the ends to start the flaring, and then it's all gravity and heat from there. But yeah, perception helps too. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails