Wednesday, July 15, 2009

A Hot Time in the Old Town Tonight


We're having a heat wave this week, and it's causing me to arrange my day to best deal with it. Last night it was 80 degrees in the house at bedtime. Yuck. When it gets hot like this we live like folks have for centuries - we air out the house and get stuff done early in the day or in the evening when it's cool, and hide out like cave dwellers the rest of the day with the windows and blinds shut. We live in the mountains where air conditioning is not usually required - we have the marine influence here from the Pacific ocean, which usually brings a cooling fog in from Monterey Bay each night. Not lately.

I'm looking forward to a productive day today, and so far it's going well. Thirstiest plants outside are being watered, menus and groceries for the week are in place, and the laundry is done. What I'm not thrilled about is the headache and tickle in my throat that is usually the harbinger of a cold to come. Who ever thought people got colds in the summer? Fortunately I have some Zicam around and I'll be using it until I whip it.

Today I am going to make some more beads for The Gathering this morning while it's cool, and head into the house when I can't stand the heat any more. I'm focusing on focals (that seems redundant), though I'll be bringing some jewelry pieces with me to Miami as well for the Bead Bazaar table I'll be sharing with Cyndie on Saturday, July 25.

While I've been to one Gathering already, I didn't fully participate, so there will be many parts of it that will be new to me. I'm going to volunteer at least a couple of hours, take some classes, and try to take in at least one open torch. I've not done the bead trading thing before, so I'm not really sure what to expect - do I just bring my regular beads for this?

The part about this trip I'm most excited about is that I'll be meeting my metalsmith cohort Cyndie Smith in person for the first time! We've had tons of email, convo, and FB messages, a few phone calls, but despite our collaborative works we've not ever met. Isn't the interweb wonderful? I think we're going to have a blast.

"Mean Green Mother Earth", carnivorous neckpiece in metal and glass
by Cyndie Smith (metal) and Patty Lakinsmith (glass), now in
the ISGB / Bead & Button's Convergence Exhibit.

I'm also going to see our collaborative piece, Mean Green Mother Earth in person for the first time. Sure, we exchanged sketches, bead and metal photos, and all that, but Cyndie was the one who put the whole thing together and sent it to Bead and Button for the exhibit. It will be on display with the rest of the fabulous Convergence entries, and I can't wait to see them all in person. Here's the gallery info for the Convergence exhibit:

WINDISCH-HUNT FINE ARTS GALLERY
2911 Grand Avenue

Coconut Grove, Florida
772.480.3131
June 20 - July 24, 2009

You can be sure that we'll be bringing lots of Meanie beads (with and without tongue!), brooches, and rings, and maybe even a few surprises. I can't wait to see everyone there.

4 comments:

Deb said...

I'll swap you some of your heat for some of my -4 Celsius mornings!!

You are going to have a blast at the Gathering Patty! It will be fantastic to see yours & Cyndies collaboration up close & personal.
There 'aint nothing like the real thing baby!!! ;o)

Patty said...

You're coming!?!?!??!?!

Deb said...

In my dreams! I meant for you to see it ;o) Sorry - I was still half asleep & could have worded that better.

Patty said...

Oh man, you had me going there. Maybe next year. We coulda tore up the town. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails