Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Two Happy Endings and the Start of a Big Push

Shirley Cook attempts to answer questions from a very bright and inquisitive onlooker.

I was fortunate have been able to help out with two amazing causes over the last week or so - Beads of Courage, and the Eastside Prep School. The first group you know about, as I've been keeping you updated on the preparations. Well, the BeadInspired event went off beautifully at Aanraku Studio in San Mateo on Friday and Saturday thanks to Lena Rhodes' excellent and tireless efforts, and the Live Auction raised at least $2700 for Beads of Courage. Yay! It's money that comes directly as a result of your dedication to the art of lampwork bead making, and it's going to help an organization that is really making a difference in the lives of kids with cancer. A big hug and thank you to all of the artists who sent me donation pieces, carried them in, or otherwise managed to see that I got them. They were beautiful and our auction audience thought so too.

Ralph McCroskey, bead maker and auctioneer extraordinaire. Hey Ralph, your head is on fire!

The Eastside Prep school's mission is to help kids from under represented backgrounds get a college education and realize their full potential through learning. Often these kids are the first in their families to go to college, and often they come from very challenging experiences. Donations they receive from endowments, fundraisers and other gifts help them to continue to do good work, and it's heartwarming to hear the personal success stories in the NBC News video on their website. Watch it!

Now for the Big Push. I've got a 3 day show coming up and as usual, I'm low on inventory. I had a successful (though quiet) Customer Appreciation sale last week to celebrate my two year "Etsyversary", and have some major work to do (that was a hint that you really should consider signing up for my newsletter). But the big creative crank is turning smoothly now, and if you come and see me at the Sacramento Fine Arts Festival on October 2-4, you won't be disappointed. Meanies as you've not seen them before, new work in my Primitive Directions Series, and more will be there.

If you think you might be in the area for the show, let me know and I can have some free passes for you at Will Call. I would love to see some friendly faces there. I'll be sneaking a few peeks at my new work in over the next week before the show.

1 comment:

mairedodd said...

congrats on the fundraisers! and you will get done what you need to, somehow it happens! i loooove the cheney meanies! they are great ~ love your work...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails