Sunday, September 27, 2009

Word of the Day: Progress

New lampwork and fine silver pieces in my "Primitive Directions" series,
coming to my show in Sacramento next weekend.


The word for today is "Progress". Hopefully I'll continue making some in my push to get ready for a three day show next weekend. I didn't mention this here, but I had a little setback last week that I thought would be the end of my show preparations.

I succumbed to a moment of very poor judgment and used a razor blade to remove an epoxied PMC bead cap from a glass bead, and sliced my thumb quite smartly. Four stitches to be exact. What was alarming and caused my drive to the ER was the fact that despite prolonged pressure on the cut I could not get the bleeding to stop. They tell me I did a bang up job with it - hit a little artery and some nerves as well, but they sewed it up and I was on my way.

For about 48 hours I feared that I would not be able to make beads or jewelry with it, but after the initial pain was gone I pushed through and I'm able to do just about everything I need to right now, so the push is ON.

More new pieces in my "Primitive Directions" series, coming to my show in Sacramento next weekend.
This one needs some patina, don't you think?

Here's a sneak peak at some of the work I'm finishing for the Sacramento Fine Arts Festival this weekend - it's a series I started about 9 months ago called, "Primitive Directions", focusing on ancient looking elements in glass and silver, with a whimsical touch here and there. Almost entirely handmade components in glass and fine silver, with a rustic look and a very substantial feel. It's an actual collection of pieces that are all related...something I've been focusing on more lately, which seems to be getting easier for me.

It's going to be a close race to the finish, and I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the cooler weather scheduled to break in the next day or so. It's a real trick while fusing and hammering and pounding and bending to also wipe the sweat dripping from my face and swat the little flies that seem to be everywhere in this dry sauna that's been Northern California for the last week or so. I think I'd even welcome some of the snow the folks in Colorado have been getting lately.

How is your fall starting out, and what word best describes your day?

2 comments:

rosebud101 said...

Glad to hear your finger is on the mend. Progress is a good word for you! My word would be: reinvent.
I need to reinvent a few things in my life. I'm on the road!

Patty said...

Thank you, Mallory. Funny how I spent all day using my thumb for metalsmithing and then tonight I couldn't work the nail clippers!

Reinvent is a great word, full of possibilities and new horizons. I look forward to hearing more about your reinventions. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails