Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Old School

New Old Work!

I had some fun in the studio the other day, just playing, letting myself make whatever came to mind, and these focal lentil beads came to life. I call them "old school" because they're a style of beads I made a lot more often about a year ago than I do today, or at least the first three are. Three of them feature the baleen technique I learned in Michael Barley's class, plus bits of silver glass (a little of that goes a long way), a little sparkle. I love how these turned out.

I'm getting ready for the Bay Area Bead Extravaganza (BABE) show in November, trying to push myself to make more bead sets - a rarity for me. I don't know why I can sit down and make a focal that takes an hour, but the same amount of time spent on a set of coordinated beads makes me itchy. I'm also trying to push myself to remake designs that I know are popular, which gets easier it seems but still seems to fall just a penny short of satisfying my inner Dora the Creative Explorer.

I'm also almost finished with a new pendant setting for the Meanie beads - it's in fine silver and I know you'll like it. I will have them at BABE. For Heaven's sake, if you're anywhere near the Bay Area (it's in Oakland) on November 14th/15th, do stop by the Marriott Convention Center and drool all over the beads. If you're curious who will be exhibiting there, click this. I'll be sharing a table with my friend Joyce, of Choyce Creations. She'll have some of her amazing fine silver and anodized titanium and niobium components, as well as finished jewelry. She's a talented local artist and friend, and her work is usually on my Christmas wish list.

1 comment:

rosebud101 said...

Love those beads, Patty! Wish I lived closer, I'd be at the show to see your beads!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails