Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Whacked

Soquel Creek at Bargetto Winery, at the base of the Santa Cruz Mountains, yesterday at about noon, in mid-storm. I can't imagine what it's like now.

Our neighborhood here in the Santa Cruz Mountains is humming with the sound of generators and chain saws after being whacked by the remnants of Super Typhoon Melor in Japan. As remnants go, this was pretty fierce. Friends nearby with weather stations on their roofs reported wind gusts near 70 miles per hour, and one friend tells me her rain gauge shows 12.5 inches in the last 24 hours, and while it's sunny now in the valley, the rain continues to fall gently up here in the mountains.

After taking my mom to the airport for her flight home this morning, I went out and walked around to survey any damage. Can't do much else with limited house power and no water. We fared well with no trees or major limbs down. However, something happened to our pump system overnight, which first had a leak and now shows no signs of life whatsoever. Rivulets of water have carved some channels in the hillside behind our house, and while on my usual hunt for errant tennis balls, I discovered a small stream on the property that wasn't there before. Debris is everywhere.

I'm doubly glad not to live where the recent fires (Bonny Doon and Lockheed) were, as those areas were evacuated during this storm because of landslide potential.

Bodie is ecstatic to finally have a chance to get out and stretch his furry legs, even just for a spell in the light rain. I had hoped to clear my head from the past week's worth of excitement by getting to my torch and melting some glass, but it's approximately 15' away from a roaring generator and even my iPod is no match for that noise. If I had water I'd make some soup. Guess I should have put a rain barrel out...

6 comments:

Mermaid Glass said...

Ah, Mother Nature. Gotta love her. Your talk of generator noise reminds me of a few years back when we got hit by three hurricanes in a row. After a while, the sound just becomes background noise and you'll hardly notice it. Yeah. Right. :)

mairedodd said...

wow- i love experiencing weather thru other's eyes... your winds sound like what we get if a strong hurricane comes by... the power of nature is humbling, isn't it? hope all is well and you get water soon...

Patty said...

You know, I was just getting used to it...and now it's all better and all modern conveniences are restored. I can't imagine three back to back storms! Wow.

Patty said...

I have an update - all is back to normal, more or less. We have a generator issue which caused complications for the water pressure pump, which burned itself out. Mountain life is always complicated, it seems, but I wouldn't trade it for a subdivision any time soon.

Time to do some laundry.

CreekHiker said...

I'm grateful those winds missed us and thankful our rain was gentle enough that the fire barren hillsides stayed put! Life is always more interesting in the mountains!

rosebud101 said...

Glad to hear that all is back to normal with you! Wow! What an adventure!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails