Tuesday, November 17, 2009

BABE!

The Meanie pendants are done! Just in time for the show. They're lovely, don't you think? After the show some of them moseyed on over to my Etsy shop, where you can see them in several colors and styles.

My goodness, I hope I'm not trending toward once a week updates. How awful! Shame on me. Here's a recap of my weekend at BABE, the Bay Area Bead Extravaganza.

Joyce, ready for action as the show opens.
It was nice doing a local show and it wasn't too tough to set up and break down. I shared a table with the lovely and talented Joyce Chadderdon, a friend and local metal artist. She was showing her incredible anodized titanium and niobium jewelry (check out those wild cuffs!), and offering anodized components as well.

At the show I discovered that my dry run at home used about 36" of depth (and 4' of table width), while the tables there were only 30" deep. I swear I used every inch of space available for my goods. I had to rearrange at the last minute so that I could see my customers over the top of my displays - yikes! I ended up swapping the Mean Green Mother Earth piece and the white focal bead display so I could at least gain eye contact with my customers.

My part of our table.
If you're wondering, yes, that is fake fur lining my second bead display, and it seemed fitting for my collection of animal-themed bead sets. Look for them soon in my Etsy shop.

They were lined up at the door and flooded in when the show opened at 10am on Saturday. By the time they made it to our table near the middle, many of them had glazed over looks in their eyes, and were visibly tired. I wish I had some refreshments to offer them. One of my first customers told me she knew my work from Etsy, and she bought a set of beads. Others would walk by (with that glazed look), and when they saw the Meanies they would laugh out loud. Ha! Glad I could bring a little humor to their day, if not offer a cool drink and a foot massage. I parted with some of my favorite new focal beads at the show, so I guess I'll have to make more.

I love checking out everyone's displays, particularly the ones that were designed to be lightweight, beautiful, and easily transported. I admired Ralph McCroskey's multi-level PVC marvel (not to mention his playful new eyeballs inside the eucalyptus pods), and coveted Aimee of Polychrome Beads' foamcore display masterpiece. The inner workings of shows and how to eek that last 20% of efficiency out of your set up fascinates me. By the way, I recently purchased Rena Klingenberg's ebook, "Your Profitable Jewelry Booth" (see link up there by Joyce's picture), and she's right on track with her show tips. Many I had heard of before, but several were new. I tried some of her suggestions at the Sacramento Art Fair in October, and I was amazed at how well they worked for sales.

Since I shared a table, I was able to get out and about and visit some of my friends there - Barb of SierraCatz, Lena and Robin, Shirley Cook, Hayley, Toni Lutman, Gretchen of Piece of Mind (Awesome kits!), and even more I can't recall. It was fun being next to Marion Jewel's in Fiber - between her energy and Heather Hopman's it was like mainlining caffeine all weekend.

Everyone was buzzing about the little beaded lizards and frogs at the Tropic Options booth, and I was lucky to score some for holiday gifts. What's even cooler is that they are made by Guatemalan women using some recycled content. So, if you're a person I regularly exchange gifts with, don't read this paragraph, or your Christmas surprise might not be so much of a surprise.

So there you have it - a not so hot off the presses update on BABE. Yeah, my feet hurt, and the days were a bit long, but it was fun and I'll do it again next year. There's just something special about the vibe you get when so many beady people and creations are assembled in one place. It's...beadriffic.

Next in my sights is the Bargetto Art in the Cellars show in a couple of weeks, Dec 5 & 6, but I have to wrangle a turkey and 8 dinner guests before then, and try to find some sort of place settings that don't too much resemble the sale bin at Goodwill. Wish me luck!

3 comments:

rosebud101 said...

Wow! I think I'd be exhausted after all of that! I'm glad that BABE went well for you!

Patty said...

Thanks Mallory. I *was* pretty tired, but was well cared for at home afterwards. :-) Came home Sunday night to a great dinner of freshly caught crab.

Emakaye said...

Sounds like a great show for you. Glad it went well. I know that "glazed" over look you mention...you've got to catch shoppers attention some how.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails