Monday, November 2, 2009

On the Business of Busy-ness

One of my new focal beads.

It's been incredibly beautiful here lately. The fog-kissed mornings, the sunsets, the balmy breezes, and I'm just loving it. As usual I'm reaching for the ideal balance between indoors and out, work and play, and feel like I'm getting the formula right lately. While a feast for the eyes and good for my inventory, too many hours of nose and shoulders to the torch is not good for the sun and earth loving spirit that needs some sun and sweat on her face, and a dusty mountain trail winding off from her feet to the horizon.

I got the best of both worlds this past weekend. I walked with some friends in the American Cancer Society's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer event, and felt even more connected than usual to my gender while getting some exercise and raising a few bucks for research to deal with this horrible disease. My husband and I also got out with the dog for a nice 5 mile hike in a local forest, and between the two events I've been sleeping well.

On the other end of the scale, balancing these excursions was a very productive torching session and a long overdue cleanout of a D3 area (disheveled, disorganized, and dirty) where I store gardening and art show equipment. How satisfying it was to finally see some order in the chaos, some clear counter and floor space, and a few less cobwebs. Now I need to find the right way to deal with the rodents who seem to think they own the place. Apparently a plastic tub is not secure enough for storing dried food, and maybe metal is required. Comes with mountain life, I guess. I actually had a STAREDOWN with one last night, when the cleanup was all but done. This one came out of hiding to show its cute little face (I think it's a tree rat - they are kinda cute) so I froze, and we stared at each other for a good 30 seconds before he/she went back to mousing around, checking out my stuff.

I'm getting ready for BABE in a couple of weeks, and have been training myself to make sets of smaller beads instead of just focals. But as a reward, in between sets, I've been quite happy with some of my new focals. Didn't this one photograph beautifully? Maybe it's the bead, maybe it's the incredible autumn light we've had lately, but it's sure something.

With luck the progress will continue this week, along with the next installment of my Essential Elements series on things I find crucial for making jewelry.

3 comments:

rosebud101 said...

Patty, it sounds like you've been busy. If I had seen a little rodent like you had, I would have probably scared that little thing to death because of my screaming! Oh, well, I can hardly wait to see your sets!

Patty said...

Mallory - he was too cute to elicit a scream. In fact, I was so pissed off at cleaning up the mess it made that I just stood there and GLARED at it. I'll try to get pix of some of my sets.

Patty said...

Mallory - I've listed three of my new sets in my Etsy shop...http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=33765738 is the first.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails