Monday, January 25, 2010

More Fun With Chalcedony

I never would have thought that my crunch of mass production in preparation for Tucson would have yielded a creative surprise, but it has. Long a fan of the raku glass, I've lately been fascinated with Gaffer's new colors Chalcedony and Blue Chalcedony (G-109, G-1095). Inspired by artists like Deb Batten of Firebird Flamework and Mike Hengler who have been doing some heavy duty experimentation with this glass, I feel determined to learn for myself what makes this glass tick. Specifically, what makes it do it's fantastical color popping thing for me, the way I work.Certainly, it's lots of intense heating and cooling, but more specifically, I think it likes to move. Seriously, the most intense and breathtaking color I've gotten seems to be from letting the glass flow. Deb touched on this in her tutorial last year, but what I'm seeing is that it likes to flow around the mandrel. A lot. The color in these comes almost entirely from intense heating and movement, not from rapidly cooling with tools, but obviously that's the next thing I'll try.

These babies will be coming with me to Tucson, and I might even pry them out of my hot little hand to sell. Maybe.

7 comments:

Shirley Cook - Jumping Jack Glass said...

Patty, these are gorgeous!

mairedodd said...

these are beautiful! wish i were going to tucson! i love when you share the shows, so i will be looking forward to it...
and i had to laugh, saw the partridge family icon - :0) ah, the good old days!!

gaffergirls.com said...

beyond ...
so excited to meet you..
we will be prying .. :0)

Patty said...

Thank you, Shirley! That means a lot coming from you.

Maire - thank you so much! Yeah,I wanted to run away with the Partridges there for a while, and go on tour with them.

Deb said...

Woohoo - you go girl! Look at you getting that glass to sing!

Or is it you that is singing & the glass is just moving along to your tune?
Any which way - these are spectacular!

BTW if I sung, my glass would run away in horror, so I settle for gravity shaping in stead ;o)

Patty said...

Deb, rarely is there a torching session without singing (me). I think I have a long ways to go with the color - needs more pop! Tonight I'm adding more tooling and the O2 treatment (a la Mike Hengler's post) to the mix to see the difference it makes. Film at 11.

I'm sure you sing better than some other folks I know. :-)

rosebud101 said...

Patty, those beads are beautiful. I think you've captured the essence of the glass--the movement. It doesn't like to be sculpted much, but it does like to be moved into a bead. Great job!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails