Sunday, April 11, 2010

Rain Rain Go Away!

The incredible rains we've had this winter are doing their thing to make the moss covering every possible forest surface become lush once again. I just want to lie down on a bed of this stuff! At the very least I'm considering making our front lawn from it. Heck, it's doing better than the grass, so why not? The ferns are loving the water too, and unfurling their new fronds freely.

Gravity Tube earrings, delicate and fraternal, and light as a feather!

Since it's too cold and rainy out to get out and about, I've been listing some more jewelry in my Etsy shop. I have tons of new pieces, and some of these will be coming with me to Oakland in May to the Bead Society of Northern California Bead Bazaar. Come on out to see the pretty shiny things!

Triple hoop earrings in cornflower blue.

A meanie bouquet, ready for any creative adventure.


I'm excited about finding a new place to walk in the neighborhood. A generous neighbor invited us to walk on her property, and Bodie and I had fun exploring the other day. The old redwoods are magnificent, and bear the scars of forest fires and earthquakes. Did you know that the shaking from the 1989 Loma Prieta quake snapped the tops off of many in this area?

Recently I learned from some other neighbors that there's a mountain lion in the area as evidenced by a fresh kill near the trail. There are lots of them in these hills, actually, but we never see them as they like to be private. Unfortunately a friend a few miles away has had a number of her alpaca killed by one.

While I've always known they were here, it's easy to forget about it since they're so stealthy. It took a decade of living up here before we saw our first bobcat, but he was so nonchalant as to stroll through our front yard in the middle of the morning. The big cats are different, and I plan to do what I can to be smart about it and stay safe.

4 comments:

kate mckinnon said...

FABULOUS photo of the Meanie Bouquet!

mairedodd said...

be careful around your house...
those pieces? each and every one of them? incredible- i so love your work... have to see what the meanie bouquet is... did i tell you em was in the little shop of horrors production at her school? we love that show...

Patty said...

Thank you, Kate! I cheated. There is simply no aperture priority mode on my P&S that still allows me to manually dial in the white balance, spot focus, and ISO, so I used a Picasa "soft focus" feature. I know I'll burn in hell for it, but it was worth it.

Patty said...

Maire - I plan to take precautions in case I run into one.

Thank you so much for the kind words! The meanie bouquet is a set of a meanie and 2 little flowers, all glass, made on copper wire. They are ready to be wrapped into a ring, a brooch, or even better, perhaps a barrette? With moss? I do so hope for a bright future for all the little beads that leave my shop, and I dream of a cute little hair piece that has these components plus some moss, maybe a twig or two.

LSOH! Woot! What role did she play? I have to look at some of those You Tube videos again. I agree, it's a great show.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails