Sunday, May 9, 2010

Fruits of My Labor


I have not been very good about keeping you up to date on my beady news! I've been getting ready for the Northern California Bead Society's show this coming Saturday in Oakland, and have been at the torch nearly every day. The vendor list is here, and you'll see a lot of familiar names. Come on out to fondle the beady goodness!

Marbled Focal Bead, in my Etsy Shop.
More beads like this are in the show at the Pismo Gallery.

The biggest news is probably that my solo and collaborative work with Cyndie Smith is at the Pismo Gallery all during May for their Bead Invitational 2010 Exhibit. We are thrilled and honored to be a part of this event, and just wished we lived closer so that we could go visit. I'm lucky to have a friend living near Denver who sent me some pictures. I have loose beads and jewelry in this exhibit, and of course, Mean Green Mother Earth is there too, along with lots of Meanie goodies to wear and enjoy.

Marbled Focal Bead (SOLD).
More beads like this are in the show at the Pismo Gallery.

This season I'm making loads and loads of hollow beads in colorful, fun patterns, with (drum roll...) coordinating spacers! While I am a jewelry designer, I don't normally think about what someone might need to create something wonderful with my beads. But I'm doing my best to offer as much flexibility to designers as I can, while still feeding my creative side. It's been lots of fun getting to know hollows more intimately (I've made over 50 in the last few days), and playing with some new color combinations. Hollow beads are great all around; they provide a large surface area for decoration, and they're lightweight to wear.


The one I like best is below in green and turquoise. Years ago when I first became a California Girl my husband and I went to a local art and wine festival, and found the prettiest little sun dress in a batik fabric in these colors. I loved that dress and wore it to death.


Meanwhile, I'm counting the days until it's warm enough to plant out our little heirloom tomato seedlings from Love Apple Farm. This year we're trying some medium sized varieties that should do well in our mountain microclimate: Great White, German Johnson (this one cracks me up every time I say it), Japanese Oxheart, Thessaloniki, Green Zebra, and Brandysweet Plum. If you've read my Darwin Gardens posts you know that I don't have the patience or bandwidth to baby the plants in my garden, but the reward for doing it with these heirlooms was great enough to make me try it.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Oooh, loving those Moroccan Spice ones!

Laura x

Patty said...

Thank you, Laura! Your site is great, and your work is amazing!

Mermaid Glass said...

Congrats on the show! I love all your hollows. You've been busy.

Patty said...

Thank you, Laurie! Hope you're enjoying a beautiful spring in Florida. :-)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails