Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Commitment

The July theme for my group in the Art Bead Scene Carnival Blog is "Commitment".

I have been committed to my exploration of glass beadmaking since 2003. In the beginning it truly was just an exploration. I was intrigued, and determined (ok, committed) to improve my skills. In that sense, it was a personal commitment. But along the way it has blossomed into so much more than that, and I find that I have made many commitments to myself and to others along the way. I now sell my work on Etsy, and a slew of commitments come from that. I am committed to:
  • offering the highest quality hand crafted beads I can produce.
  • offering the fastest turnaround time possible when filling orders.
  • ensuring that people who buy my work are thrilled with their purchases.
  • responding to inquiries about existing and custom orders as fast as I can.
  • using attractive, but earth friendly packaging options.
I also do shows on a local and national level, and this also comes with a number of commitments to myself and to others. I enter into contracts with the show promoters to show up at a certain time and place, and to offer the same type of artwork for sale that I submitted for the jurying process. In the days and weeks leading up to the show I am committed to creating as much inventory as possible for the show, and it keeps me up late most times.

As part of my beadmaking ventures I have also made commitments to a number of groups along the way, to perform certain functions to help them. These groups have included Etsy street teams, professional organizations like ISGB, and Beads of Courage. I also try to regularly donate jewelry to local groups who have events with raffles, like our wonderful local volunteer firefighters, Beads of Courage, and my former Art Guild. Most of the time I'm able to fulfil my commitments to these groups, although occasionally life becomes a bit hectic and not everything gets done. I had a great ideas for a statement necklace for last month's Blog Carnival challenge, and it just didn't happen in time. It will, eventually.

Yes, this fascination with fire and color has grown into something much, much bigger than I ever expected it would. Do I find that burdensome? Not at all. The commitments I have made in my journey have enabled me to learn so much, and to meet lots of wonderful people, so it's been worth it.

4 comments:

Jeannie said...

That is an positive attitude to have and it will take you far. I wish much success and happiness

Michelle Mach said...

I admire artists like you who make a commitment to their work. I'm working on being more committed myself.

Silver Parrot said...

Great post - I really enjoyed it!

Chris said...

I always love to hear about other artist's thought processes, inspirations, and approaches to their art. Thank you so much for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails