Thursday, September 16, 2010

I Missed It

My 3 year Etsyversary, that is! How pathetic is that? I've done it up big for the last couple of years with a sale and all, and had the best of intentions this year too. But you know what they say...

My excuse for missing my own Etsyversary is that I've been super busy preparing for the Sacramento Arts Festival in a couple of weeks. I'm making lots of jewelry that will hopefully get me through the rest of the year, so I can focus next on beads for Tucson. I'm thrilled that my friend Heidi will be joining me there to help run the booth, and I know we'll have more fun than two grown women ought to. For gosh sake if you're anywhere near Sacramento the first weekend in October and would like to come, let me know and I'll hook you up with some free passes, or at least with some discount coupons. There's live music the entire weekend, food, and some art that will make your heart swoon.

For some time I've been itching to try some new jewelry styles, something more up to date than the far too symmetric designs I've been making. It pushes me beyond my comfort zone for sure, mixing metals and other media, and thinking harder about affordability. Once again I find myself straddling that fence between bead maker and jewelry designer and it both thrills me and terrifies me.

The best part is shopping in my own bead store for just the right lampwork beads, and so far I'm happy with what I've got. For the first time, with this new style I'm not running back and forth from the design table to the torch for just one more bead - since I've been making sets and trying to think more like a designer I'm finding that things are hanging together better for me. Part of it is a more relaxed style, with less emphasis on symmetry and more emphasis on color and fun. I still have some patina work to do (I've hammered, fused and soldered a heckuva lotta metal lately), and some PMC to form and fire, but I'm excited about all of this coming together. There's at least one piece that I'm going to have a hard time parting with, and I'll give you a peek at that one soon.

Meanwhile, thanks to everyone who commented on my last post about blog pages. I've done enough mucking around the Blogger tempalte code to be slightly effective but dangerous, and making the mods to make the page labels more salient will have to wait for a few weeks. Truth be told I've been all over that html and can't find the part that controls the font size for that part.

Hope your Friday kicks butt. Do something creative!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails