Monday, September 13, 2010

My Blog Pages - Yes, No, Meh?

So, I'm just curious. How many of you have noticed the "pages" for this blog, you know, the ones right under my Meanie banner that say "Home", "Shop Online", "Upcoming Shows", "About Me", etc.? Are you finding them useful? Did you even know they were there?

Blogger added this feature a while back, and I was thrilled to learn about it. For some time I've been meaning to fix my dusty old website, but for various reasons it hasn't happened yet. In the meantime I wanted to have an easy way to point followers to static information, such as upcoming shows, my Etsy store, etc . As with most of the Blogger stuff it's not hard to use, but isn't terribly flexible. I'd like to make them more salient on the page but after fiddling with the html for a while I still haven't cracked that nut yet.

But the pages are working for me - are they working for you?

6 comments:

Deb said...

I've noticed the pages :)

I have to admit that I was watching out for them to become available when I first heard about them becoming available in Blogger in draft back in January. I finally got mine up sometime in March.lol!

You are right,they are not really very flexible at all & I find them somewhat too static.

They work for me in as far as they get the information off the home page & to somewhere that it can be easily found.....if people know to look for it. That's where I question if the pages are really working 'for' me.

I've noticed when surfing others blogs that many people are only just discovering them now & have to question if that is the case - what are the chances that people have even noticed them on my blog?

My stats on blogger seem to confirm that suspicion ;)

mairedodd said...

i really love this feature! in a way it helps to clean up the 'home' page while allowing for easy access to other info... didn't know that was a blogger feature or if you had found it elsewhere...
so i guess is should say that i love it! (and am going to use it myself)

kate mckinnon said...

I think it's great in principle. Different stock themes on both Blogger and Wordpress do better and worse jobs emphasizing pages.

Again, I recommend WordPress if what you want is to take it a bit further, and have the extra flexibility. You won't need to worry about having the Captcha and the log-ins, and you can customize the pages and links and widgets and sidebars just like a regular web site.

I am moving my scene totally to the blog, on Wordpress, because I love the idea that it's hosted on their server, not my computer. I can update it from anywhere on Earth.

So, I love you pages, but i admit I didn't notice them at all until you pointed them out. They are very unobtrusive in this theme.

TesoriTrovati said...

I have to admit that I hadn't noticed them. Font color perhaps?
But I like the idea and will definitely check it out on your pages as well as look into it for my own.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Patty said...

Thanks for the feedback, ladies. It's been hard to figure out how to tweak the appearance of the pages labels in this "minimalist" Blogger theme. I'll keep trying, though.

Sharon Driscoll said...

I hadn't noticed them Patty until you said something but I do think they are a fantastic idea. I also think Kate is right that having one place to orchestrate things is a very good idea. Maybe just change the color or the font to make them pop a bit.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails