Saturday, October 9, 2010

It's officially here

The Big Leaf Maples are among the first to lose their leaves around here.

Fall, that is. It's the most beautiful time in Northern California, I think, and I welcome it. Usually it's nice to escape the heat of the summer in favor of cooler days, but this year it seems like we went from spring right to fall without any summer in between.

Nonetheless I still welcome the change. Lots of people think that in California we don't have any seasons, but it's just not true. The leaves change color, the weather gets colder, some plants die and some spring to life, and we get rain and wind instead of snow.

To me fall has always held special meaning. I turn older this time of year, and I used to look forward to the school year beginning, which meant shopping trips for new clothes and school supplies, trick or treating, and chilly nights at the homecoming parade.

Now it means preparing for winter by making soup to freeze, putting the garden to bed (as if it ever gets out of bed at all these days), and preparing the house and yard for the deluges. It also seems to be the time of year when every rodent in the county decides they want to come and stay with us for the winter, which creeps me out and makes me very irritable when I hear their chewing and scurrying in the middle of the night.

The days are balmy and the nights have a chill in the air, and in the morning the spider webs are everywhere, bejeweled with dew.

The other day I saw a squirrel in the lawn, hiding a nut for winter. I swear to you once the treasure was in the ground and dirt patted on top, he straightened a few blades of grass above his secret stash. He actually used both paws to tug them this way and that until they looked sufficiently undisturbed, then went on his way. It was shocking.

Time to get out the crock pot, and light a fire.

1 comment:

Right Turn ArtWerks said...

I have this image running through my head now of this squirrel straightening out the grass so he make the perfect putt on the putting green. LOL

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails