Friday, March 18, 2011

3 Hot Chicks

Watching...

We've had these girls for about 4 days now, and it's just fascinating, they're growing so fast. I had no idea I'd become so interested in birds. I know it's going to totally blow me away when they start laying eggs. Little downey fluff is changing into feathers on their wings and cute little rumps, and their behavior is changing too. While at first only the biggest/1 week older one would perch, it looks like she's taught them all. I put the perch in the second day we had them, and she jumped right up, but the others were hesitant so I put it in at a slant, hoping to ease their transition. Now all three of them seem to easily be able to get up there.

I changed out the hot white lights for a slightly cooler red light, as I read that the white lights can stress them out and make them peck excessively. It makes for some weird photos, but if it helps keep the peace I'm all for it. It's a small space and I don't want any more feathers flying than necessary. I'm still obsessing a bit over the temperature, hoping not to get them too hot, but I'm less concerned as their feathers come in.

Learning to perch...
"It's all about balance, see. Better get it right because someday we're
going to have to sleep like this."

Learning to fly...

Every now and then a little chaos breaks out and one of them tries to fly across the cage. Occasionally one will just launch herself, feet first at another, and try to land on their back. Not very polite.


Another day in the life of the Lakinsmith Laying Squad
(one day), taken on Wednesday.

They love taking little dust baths in the pine shavings, and look like total freaks digging in them and sending it flying everywhere. When I gave the littlest one a red wiggler worm on the first day she attacked it immediately, but now none of them seem very interested.

Fowl Neck Sweater
Tell me if you have ever seen anything more endearing.
Thanks to Sherry Bellamy for pointing out on Facebook that this is now a fowl neck sweater.

We've been trying to handle the chicks each day to make them friendlier and easier to deal with later on, and they seem to be getting used to it. This sweetie wanted to sleep in my collar. We learned on Monday that they're best taken out one at a time - when we each took one out and left one alone in there she peeped her concerns very loudly.

7 comments:

rosebud101 said...

That photo is great, Patty! I know that you will win the hearts of those little chicks!

somethingunique said...

Hi Patty, the little chicks are so cute when they are tiny like that, my sons best friend across the road has had his for going on 2 years now he has 12 so he gets 12 eggs a day so needless to say we never have to buy eggs and they are way different than store eggs, they are a much deeper yellow yolks and taste so fresh. it's good that you are handling them we did that with his and now they are frienly (well most of them) they accually all have different personality's there is one that loves to snuggle when you pick her up she will put her head right in your neck and fall asleep. He has ducks too and when they have babies talk about cute. well have fun with you new babies and enjoy them while they are small you won't believe how fast they grow. TGIF ttfn L:)

mairedodd said...

this is really quite something! baby everythings need love and attention - this is so great to watch... looking forward to the updates!

Patty said...

Well, here's an update. Yesterday the last one I had out of the cage (for some bonding with me) pooped in my HAIR. Nice.

Barbara Lewis said...

We always used to get little chicks at Easter ... before the ASPCA decided it wasn't a good idea! When I was growing up, they dyed the chicks different Easter colors and we had to set up a box with a light to keep the chick warm. I happened to have one that grew to be a fairly large chicken that used to sit on my shoulder when I would walk around the neighborhood. Wasn't that a sight?!!! Anyway, my parents decided we couldn't keep her in an apartment any longer and a family came and got her and took her out to their farm! Let's not go any further ... LOL

Snowcatcher said...

Awwwwwwwwwww! I think I've found my cuteness fix for the rest of the month! Well, except for the pooping in the hair part... But that was great for a giggle or two! Well, at least for ME!

Monked & Fifed said...

Very cool!
I was directed to you by Mairedodd...we just got chicks ourselves this year...4! It is really exciting....we are also starting a Front Yeard Farm...as that happens to be where we get the most sun. It is a really great feeling, to be able to have some control over the foods we eat, where it comes from...and to be able to experience it all as a family.
I posted some chick pics last week...
http://monkednfifed.blogspot.com/2011/03/our-baby-chicks.html

:) a.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails