Saturday, March 12, 2011

Girls! Keep it down in there!

I am a master procrastinator when it comes to paperwork. I was supposed to work on my tax preparation today. But first we went shopping for furniture and I scored a very inexpensive sidebar type piece I've been looking for, and then we met some really cute chicks downtown and they convinced us to bring them home with us.

Welcome home girls!
Names, names, we're definitely going to need some names.

We've actually been thinking about this for some time, and finally decided to take the plunge. It's Jennifer's fault, actually, for posting this awesome picture of a metal chick feeder and accelerating our plans. I knew I wanted the feeder to store my jewelry pliers, but now it looks like it might be a few weeks until that can happen. My husband is going to build them a condo, and we're going to repurpose a chain link dog run that came with the house for their run. It will be 100% secure from predators. Many a poor neighborhood fowl has lost their lives to raccoons, bobcats, dogs, and who knows what, and I intend to give these girls a nice long life.

We've got an Ameraucana, a New Hampshire Red, and a Danish Brown Leghorn and they are aDORABLE! From the way that they peep, scratch and peck, and fall asleep just anywhere, and the fact that they weigh about 0 ounces. They are 1-2 weeks old and seemingly ready to take on the world.

We've never done this before, so it's all new and fun. So far it's been pretty easy - go to the rural hardware store, fall in love with the big pen full of peeping fluff, swoon, buy a feeder, some starter crumbles, a hanging feeder for later, and the girls. My brother in law had already given us a wire mesh brooder cage years ago, and I already owned a little thermometer, lights, and pine shavings. And as (their) luck would have it, I am a vermicomposter so I have lots of wriggling red treats for them. Not so lucky for the worms I guess, but it's the circle of life.

And now, from the Brooder Cam:



So, any suggestions for names would be lovely! Tomorrow I will give them a roost.

7 comments:

somethingunique said...

Hey Patty, they are so cute, i am a country bumpkin so all of my niebors have chickens my sons best friend has 10 of them just for eggs & as pets as well as some white geese and a bunch (flock?)of ducks. i am home all alone tonite and a saw this commercial and i don't know if it was the loneliness or boardum but i though it was hilarious i have noone else to share it with and you were at the top of the dashboard so your the lucky recipiant of the link i took from the share button on you tube when i clicked on it i had no idea who i was going to share it with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfJnqbudMzs

Wearable Metal Art with Fran and Jerry said...

Patty...They are soooooooooo CUTE
But lots of work too. Love does it all in the end.
Congratulations on the new members of the family

kate mckinnon said...

YOU GOT CHICKENZ!!! How exciting!!

kate mckinnon said...

YOU GOT CHICKENZ!! I am thrilled! Can't wait to keep tabs on them.

Patty said...

Yes, I haz chickenzes.

Jennifer Cameron said...

Hey! Just because I showed a picture of a checken feeder, I get blamed for you running out to buy chickens? LOL!

Patty said...

Did I say fault? I meant, Jennifer gets all the credit! ;-) We're having fun with the girls, and I'll get my pliers holder back very soon, when they move into their own place outdoors. All is well, and I think that seeing your photo was what got me off the dime to make this happen.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails