Sunday, July 17, 2011

I Heart Macro Sunday: The best dates always start with earplugs and liability waivers

Beauty in the trash!
Beauty in unexpected places.  Who knew the bottom of a trash barrel would reveal this?

Last weekend I did something that I never thought I would do.  I went shooting with my husband and another couple at a local sporting clays range (bear with me - a macro treat waits for you at the end of this post).  My husband hunts birds and is quite comfortable around his shotgun, but outside of our potato gun and my wristrocket, I've always been pretty leery of weapons.  I don't like the noise, and I don't like what they can do.

The first time we went to the range it was me and my husband and our teenage son, and despite my husband's prodding that I should try it, I just couldn't.  I couldn't even touch the gun, let alone participate, so I busied myself as the videographer.  Perhaps it was the ginormous SUVs with the Bush / Cheney stickers in the parking lot, perhaps it was the noise, but I was shocked at the visceral nature of my reaction. Mind you, this is not killing, this is target practice with little clay frisbees that a machine hurls into the air.  Hardly a blood sport.

Adele takes aim

The second time I went because another couple came along, and the other woman actually had her own little shotgun, and I hoped that maybe some of her courage would rub off on me.  I took some instruction from the guys, who are both seasoned hunters, and actually tried it, and didn't at all care for how hard the 12 gauge bucked into my body, even when braced.  But Jill let me try her weapon and it was much easier.  I gave it a try on several of the stations and did OK, but not great.  I had no burning desire to go back.  But give me some PVC pipe, Aquanet hairspray and a 5lb sack of spuds and I'm a happy camper. 

Adele

Then on a gorgeous day last weekend my husband made plans to go shooting with some of our friends.  Adele was keen to shoot and once again I found myself hoping to absorb some enthusiasm for this sport.  We rented a pretty little Browning 20 gauge gun and Adele and I shared it on the course.  One time I got both targets the first two shots, but other times I just gave up.  It was a beautiful day and I just loved being out with my sweetie in the gorgeous countryside and besides, I knew that there would be some kind of great lunch afterwards - Nili and Adele are foodies and can always find the best eats, even if it's just a local taqueria.


Adele through a knothole in the fence behind the shooting station.

And here's the macro goodness I wanted to share with you:

Browning 20 gauge

Who knew such unexpected beauty would be found on a Browning 20 gauge shotgun?  I think this is very cool.  Next time I'll have to take my molding compound...

Now toodle on over to see Lori at Studio Waterstone and check out the other macro treats!

studio waterstone

11 comments:

Kristi Bowman said...

Great post Patty. I know what you mean about shooting. I went to a range years ago and actually enjoyed it but I won't share my opinion of hunting. But the workmanship on some guns and rifles is absolutely stunning like your little browning. Thanks for sharing!

Kym Hunter Designs said...

My husband and son love to go to the range and have been trying to get me to join them. I suppose I should try it at least once. I love your macro shot! Who would think a gun could be so beautiful?!

Annette said...

That really is beautiful. My dad taught me how to shoot when I was growing up but I haven't touched a gun as an adult.

Laura Twiford said...

My husband has a number of guns with beautiful carved stocks and metalwork. I have never thought of getting an impression though, thanks for that!

EB Bead and Metal Works said...

That is one of the things I miss the most about being in the Army, going to the range! I miss the smell of the gun powder and the starch from the BDU's, very unique smell :) I also love that shot of the tooling on the shotgun!

Val said...

I so agree Patty - beautiful macro shot of some very beautiful aristry!

Sally Russick said...

Patty, I love the photo through the knothole, it makes a nice border! My husband loves to get out to the rifle range. I'm thinking I have to take a better look at his guns there's definite beauty to be found!

P.S. I saw your next post, is there an egg yet?

kimmykats said...

I have always wanted to shoot a real gun....finally got to target shoot with a BB gun haha!! The tooling is wonderful.

Lori @ Studio Waterstone said...

Haha! I love this story! How cool.

I have a good friend who made a potato gun with his little boy and we had so much fun with it.

Janet said...

Beauty! Love your pictures!

Janet said...

PS The bottom of the trash barrel is beauty too!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails