Monday, July 18, 2011

We're on a roll here

There's just nonstop excitement around the chicken coop these days.  Chica is apparently taking this job very seriously, and produced another egg for us today, on Day 2 of her laying career.  It was slightly longer than yesterday's, and she wanted the world to know all about it.

Being new to all of this still I once again rushed out to be by her side when I heard the characteristic call, which you can hear in these little videos.  I opened the servants' entrance to the coop and had a good view of the closer nesting box, where she was sitting.


Her sisters were there for moral support, which I thought was very kind given the recent kerfuffles they've been having. She was quiet for a while and nothing seemed to be happening, so I went back inside.

A few minutes later I heard the call again and went out to check, and sure enough, she had done it again!  I made sure to tell her how proud we were, and she seemed pretty excited about it too.


Looks like we won't have to divide that first special egg in too many parts after all.  Life is good here on the farm.

5 comments:

Kristi Bowman said...

I love hearing about your egg adventures, I miss having chickens. Maybe I'll get some again one day!! Thank you for sharing!

mairedodd said...

you know, just listening to the video you feel more connected... eggs - buy them in cartons in the store... but when you point out that there is a characteristic call... and to see the others around her... it makes one feel very close to it all... thank you for that... i am really touched...

Snowcatcher said...

Brought back a good many memories, although I never got to see a really fresh egg. I didn't have a separate pen for my rooster, and he usually managed to peck the eggs before I found them.

This was so cute, seeing her clucking about what she'd done!

Sally Anderson said...

I am so ignorant about all of this! I thought you had to have a rooster to get eggs. No? I see not. I think I'll go read an article on the biology of chickens because this is really fascinating! Thanks for sharing the whole process. I love it!

Softflexgirl said...

I love these chicken updates. They are the best. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails