Monday, August 1, 2011

Welcome to the fold, Princess Lay-A!

I'm happy to report that two of our three girls are now laying!  Just yesterday Princess Lay-A (on the left) joined Club Ovulation and gave us her first little gift, so tiny and perfect.  This morning I found another, this time properly laid in the nest as opposed to on the coop floor.

 Lucille (right) studies Princess Lay-A's first two masterpieces, and contemplates the big task ahead of her.

In comparison Chica's ginormous egg is on the bottom, at least twice the size of Princess's first two attempts.  Her physical size suggested this might be expected, although I'm hoping maybe now that the machinery is humming they might increase in size.

Chica continues to lay beautiful large double-yolked eggs for us, almost one a day.  Now the only one not producing is Lucille, shown on the right.  She's always been the smallest, so we're not surprised, and I'm wondering if this explains why she's the only one still trying to sleep on the roof at night.  Too much estrogen in the coop for her, perhaps?

I'm thinking that with the recent potato harvest it might be time to make a frittata.  I just rescued some potted chives near death in a corner of the vegetable garden, and hope they might flourish for future use.  But the tarragon needs thinning...

11 comments:

My Life Under the Bus said...

Ok so I am picturing Princess Lay-A running about the first time wondering what the %^&())* is falling out! LOL!!!

Miss Val's Creations said...

Hehe! How fun it must be to have these little girls provide you with eggs!!! Frittata is a perfect use of them! ~Val

Holly said...

Oh, yay Princess Lay-A! I love Chica's big ole egg too! Is it me, or does it show a blue-ish cast to it? What breed(s) are your chickens? And sorry if I missed that part of the story somewhere ;)

Patty said...

Yes Holly, you're right. Chica's eggs are a very light teal color. She's an Ameraucana (similar to Araucana), and both of those breeds are known for their colorful eggs. I'm just blown away by the sheer *size* of them! I think that once Lucille starts laying hers will be brown, so by a stroke of happy circumstance we'll be able to keep track of everyone's production fairly easily.

kate mckinnon said...

I am living the Chicken Life vicariously through you. Thank you for upping the Chicken Post Percentage.

Softflexgirl said...

Yay Chicken Lay-A. Good job!

Snowcatcher said...

My gosh, you've just made me hungry! And good work, Princess Lay-A! (Great name, by the way!)

Patty said...

And even more exciting is that Lucille is nesting as I type this. I guess she's had enough of being the outcast. This morning I had the special treat of harvesting two eggs from different hens!

Jenni said...

Oh how lovely..fresh eggs and frittatas. Glad the girls are. Doing the right thing. Love the color of the big one. I met a lady during the week... She just ordered some Araucana chickens... She told me they are mauve and so are their eggs. This conversation was in a jewelry shop..not sure how we managed that!

Sally Anderson said...

Double yolks, huh? I thought that was really rare but she's consistent w/ it? Amazing. I once bought a dozen eggs at the store and every one of them had double yolks. I thought that was amazing, too!

My big question: Can you tell the difference in taste with these ever-so-fresh eggs? If so, how are they different?

I'm just so fascinated by your chicken husbandry!

Thanks!
Sally

Patty said...

Sally, I understand that hens in the beginning and end of their laying careers frequently produce double-yolked eggs.

I was prepared for a mind bending experience when I first tasted one of their uber-fresh eggs, but I didn't notice anything spectacular. That tells me that the eggs we've been getting at the store must be pretty fresh, I guess. Others rave about the difference. The yolks *do* stand up pretty high above the white in the frying pan, however.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails