Friday, April 27, 2012

Twisting the night away...

Happy, colorful discs.

I just bought a tutorial from Heather Trimlett that I thought you should know about - Twists!  Heather is the queen of bright, colorful, precisely executed beads, and there is a lot I can learn from her.  Yeah, I've been making twisties for years, using many different techniques I've read about or been taught in classes.  Mostly they're the micro-twists that get melted in flat to the bead and spread out with heat, like in my Big Fancy Bead tutorial.  But it was hit or miss for me to make a nice, crisp, evenly-spaced black and white twist...until I got Heather's tutorial. I wanted to take her workshop at The Gathering this year, but it quickly sold out the day that registration opened.  The tutorial was the next best thing and you know what?  It rocks.  My twisties are now better proportioned, evenly pulled, and applied better than ever.  I even made a nearly perfect encased striped bead using some of the twistie shorts.  I'd still sign up for her workshop if an opening popped up, but if you're like me and frustrated that you missed out on it, get the tutorial and see how far you can go.  I was impressed.

Here are some shots of my twisties before (left) and after (right) the tutorial. My near perfect encased bead is below the discs.   Heather's is a technique for making twisties that I'd heard of before, but for one reason or another didn't latch onto.  Now I'm thinking it's the fastest, most reliable recipe ever.  For now I've been having fun applying these to the edges of some disc beads, but have all sorts of cool ideas about other uses.


  Near perfect encased twistie bead. 

 

10 comments:

Roberta said...

Oh these are gorgeous!

Jenni said...

Lovely job... Will check it out, thanks.
Jenni

Sharon Driscoll said...

They're incredible Patty. And there is no doubt that Heather is the queen of the twist - and it looks like maybe you'll be the Princess

Marcia DeCoster said...

Heather is a neighbor, so if you find a class you are welcome to stay with me. Love her beads.

mairedodd said...

these are really fantastic - it feels so good when something finally clicks... so glad her tutorial worked for you!

Patty said...

What a wonderful idea Marcia! Thank you. :-) And thanks everyone for the kind comments.

Therese's Treasures said...

Hi Patty,
Those are beautiful beads. It always amazes me what people can do with fire and glass.
Therese

Snowcatcher said...

They are stunning. When I think of what it takes to form beads, I'm blown away. Not quite the same as striping with yarn!

Marcia DeCoster said...

Heather sometimes teaches in San Diego, if you should ever have that opportunity, you are entirely welcome to stay here!

beth said...

how fun....and beautiful !

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails