Friday, October 26, 2012

On feathers and wings and leaves

There has been a subtle theme running through my creative work lately, and I am more and more convinced that it comes from a sacred place.  I firmly believe that the creative process deeply taps into our spirituality, and that somehow I am just a channel and not the source of this work.  It is in the universe, in the experiences that bind us together, and remind us that we are all human together.  There is something bigger than ourselves.

First, the leaves came.  In tremendous volume (anyone who comes to see me at the Sacramento Arts Festival in a week will see this for themselves).  They tie me with nature, and remind me why I so love my home in the mountains.

Fall-inspired leaves, destined for earrings, brooches, and neckpieces.
Work in progress.
 Once the leaves came they morphed into feathers...
Glass leaf and feather earrings.
And the feathers morphed into wings, and reminded me of how a heart can soar, particularly when it is buoyed by hope...

Work in progress.
I am getting excited about the show, spending time with a dear friend who has volunteered to help me there, and excited about seeing my wonderful customers there again. If you're in the area I hope you might come and visit.
 
 
"Hope is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the
tune without the words, and never stops at all." 

- Emily Dickinson

6 comments:

mairedodd said...

absolutely, positively true - and beautiful work...
feathers and leaves have such powerful meaning... i have recently been working with feathers myself! and have kept some that i have found because i felt like i was supposed to find them -

SummersStudio said...

Yes, indeed, hope is a thing with feathers, how well I know that lately. I love seeing this creative process. Love seeing how one thing leads to another. Beautiful work and I wish I could see for myself. Best with the show.

Patti Van said...

Oh my...these are absolutly stunning! The earrings are fantastic - If only I was not 3,000 miles away...would love to see your show! Best of luck!

Snowcatcher said...

Gosh, I wish I lived close enough to enjoy your show in person!

Patty said...

Thank you all. I so wish we could all be together, if just for a day. Be safe.

Kristi Bowman said...

I would love to go to your show. I'd really love to see some of these headpins in your shop. GORGEOUS!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails