Monday, December 17, 2012

In the spaces between raindrops

"Pandora's Gift" focal bead, from days gone by.

The year is rapidly drawing to a close and in the gently falling rain I am making my final preparations.  Today the post office to mail scads of treasures and my last custom order of the year, and later this week the cleaning and more cooking.  Soon our home will be filled with the warmth of family and special times, starting with the Solstice on Friday, and I am quietly giddy.  It means so much to me to have the miles between us reduced to zero, and to make delicious things for them to eat, and to share laughter together.  Now, more than ever I try to remind myself how utterly grateful I am for the love and beauty that surrounds me, and for this wonderful, precious gift of life.

The trees in our coastal rainforest are wearing their winter coats again, and walking with any kind of efficiency is impeded by distracting ferns and fungus.  It's such a contrast to the dry summer months.  We live where the tall redwoods tickle the clouds' bellies and empty them of their moisture before passing over the valley below in the rain shadow. This year mushrooms are popping up everywhere.  The rain and dark conditions are perfect for them, and the varieties are many.


Late this fall I've been busy in the studio as well, but have been struggling to refresh my photography skills (in addition to chasing the sparse light) so I can get some of these pieces online.  My color palette is leaning toward neutrals, as they suggest the season to me and because I find them so easy to wear.  I create jewelry that I would wear myself, and usually test run my pieces to make sure that they work as intended. 

Necklace in shades of grey and ivory, with handmade fine silver bead caps and links, and recycled chandelier crystals.
Long necklace in antiqued brass, ivory and clear, with beads-in-beads and smoky faceted glass chunks.  This can be worn as a single or double strand. 
I'll try to post again soon, but I know myself too well to make promises. I hope that you find time for peace and reflection in this time of business, and I hope you get to spend some quality time with those you love.  Hold them close.


“Sometimes our fate resembles a fruit tree in winter. 
Who would think that those branches would turn green again and blossom, but we hope it, we know it.”  
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

2 comments:

Sharon Driscoll said...

And how did I not know that one of my favorite lampworkers was blogging again - I'm an airhead, that's how. Love that new studio.

Snowcatcher said...

So gorgeous, all of them, but Pandora's gift really pops. I hope you have a wonderful holiday with your family. It's always nice to regroup and hunker down with loved ones.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails