Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy Epic New Year!

My son, taken by my son.  He's an artist at heart.  I can't wait to see the videos he made on the slopes, even though I know they will make my heart stop.  I've seen some clips, and they're just like this.
The gifts are unwrapped but not yet put away, the outrageous food mostly gone, and loved ones are safely back in their own nests.  And it's quiet.  The decorations are still up but they look different after "the day", don't they?  I want to hang onto the glow a bit longer though, even though it makes sense to take them down by New Year's.


We had a fabulous time at Lake Tahoe in the epic snow, and I met my nemesis:  powder.  I've been snowboarding longer than I care to mention (albeit slower ever since I shattered the end of my radius bone), but never in several feet of new powder.  How very humbling to not even be able to get yourself upright after falling.  But hearing my 21 year old son yelling "Yeah Mom!  Go Mom!!" from the chairlift above me when I managed to hang onto my ride for about 30 seconds before Tomahawking into the deep white abyss gave me a boost.  It was exhausting, and the back leg strength required to keep the front of the board above the snow was intense.  But contrary to usual, my fear did not increase much with speed, since falling was not painful in the least.

Some holiday memories I'll treasure for a long while include celebrating the solstice with a phenomenal meal, 10 tense hours on the road to Tahoe wondering if we'd ever get there once the freeway opened again, the view of the gigantic snow covered cedar tree in the backyard of our rental, waking up each magical morning there to another foot or two of new snow, preparing delicious comfort food for my family, cutthroat Rumikub games after dinner, a luxurious soak in the snow covered jacuzzi, and a delicious crab birthday dinner for my son.




I am embracing this New Year and all the wonder that it may bring.  I wish you Peace and Happiness in yours.

3 comments:

Sharon Driscoll said...

Happy New Year Patty !

mairedodd said...

look at all that snow! that vacation sounded like such a memorable one - i am so happy for you...
all the best to your son - hope he enjoyed pretty lights! i know em did -

Snowcatcher said...

Well, your snow put my snow to shame!!! I'd love for it to get deep enough that falling doesn't hurt. Cuz I fall down way too much!

Best wishes for you in the coming year!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails