Wednesday, April 2, 2014

1000 Reasons to Love Beads

The day is here and I am beside myself.  Late last year I learned that four of my images had been accepted for inclusion in the latest Lark bead book, lovingly curated by Kristina Logan.  If you don't know who Kristina Logan is you need to stop reading this post right now and click on that blue link on her name. Her work captured my attention immediately.

So anyway, to learn that my work was accepted was kind of a dream, a non-reality until the publication date came and I started hearing that people had received their copy.  I recently got mine and I am stunned.  One of my beads was even chosen to be on the spine of this amazing book.  David Orr did all of my photography for this and I am grateful for his help - his own attention to detail took my work to another level.

 Lark's 1000 Beads, with Kristina Logan, Juror.

Kristina and the editors at Lark have assembled a breathtaking collection of beads in a mindblowing range of media:  glass, polymer clay, metal, plastic, rubber, fiber, wood, paper, and more.  Unlike the prior books, this one is not just about glass.  There was meticulous care taken in selecting and arranging these photos to provide harmonious and thought-provoking transitions from page to page.


While I have never met Kristina, she has been a long-time glass idol of mine, and seeing what she's done in this book makes me admire her even more as an artist.  Looking through the book and seeing everyone else's work is also a wonderful reminder to me of the years that I've spent making beads, and the friendships I've made, and it makes me even more grateful for the many gifts I've received from my own personal exploration in the medium.  I smile each time I see someone's work that I recognize, and recall the times we've met, exchanged emails or Facebook posts, run into each other at The Gathering, or a local ISGB meeting.  And it reminds me of the very first Lark bead book I bought, when I was just starting out making beads, and of the hundreds of post-it notes I affixed to the pages, noting techniques I hoped to learn, and artists I hoped to meet one day.  I am so loving this journey.

Happy girl here.

2 comments:

Niky Sayers said...

Congratulations, that looks like one amazing book!

Sharon Driscoll said...

You go Girl! I can't wait to get my hands of a copy...love Lark books and you know how I am about beads.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails